Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 21

*How far along?: 21 weeks

*Total weight gain: 5.5 kilos - which is about 12 pounds

*How big is baby?: Sparky is now the size of a banana Baby's digestive system is busy creating meconium (a tarry black substance made of swallowed amniotic fluid, digestive secretion and dead cells), which will fill the first diaper after birth. And, speaking of the diaper situation... baby's genitals are now fully formed!

*Maternity clothes?: I have officially outgrown all of my summer work shirts now, so it's on to maternity & stretch tops! Luckily I have a few flowy shirts & lots of stretch ones that I can wear with a black sweater, so that should last me for awhile:)

*Sleep?: Starting to be uncomfortable. Last night was the first night I slept with a pillow to support me on my side - both to keep me sleeping on my side (you aren't supposed to sleep on your back, cuts blood flow to the baby cause of the weight) and just to be more comfortable. It seemed to work - so that's the plan from here on out.

*Best moment this week?: Going on our Babymoon trip:)

It was a LONG week - Wednesday night I got rear ended by a scooter - at VERY low speed (so barely any bump to us) and Bruce only got a bit of scratched paint - but it was still upsetting. Friday a bus kicked up a stone and put a chip in the windshield of Betty -lovely. Then Friday at the airport I forgot to take my mini swiss army knife off of my keychain and they made me throw it away. I cried because it was inscribed with my name & was pink & Murray got it for me years ago when we went to Switzerland:( So after that long week a babymoon was just what we needed. We had a LOVELY weekend in Noosa - we ate, we walked around the gorgeous surroundings, we went to movies & we relaxed (post to follow soon)!

*Movement?: Yup - every day. Some days stronger than others. Not often many kicks in a row though - usually just 1 or 2 here & there all day long, which makes it hard for me to tell Murray when to hold his hand on my belly to feel them!

*Food cravings?: Well I have been starting to quite like walnuts. I have been snacking on them for a few weeks because I read they are excellent for brain development & also a good source of protein, and I'm starting to really like the taste! But ALL I can ever think about at food time is Mexican. I was CRAVING enchiladas our first night in Noosa & we found a Mexican restaurant that TOTALLY hit the spot!!

*Labor signs?: too soon for that!

*Belly button in or out?: Innie

*What I miss: nothing really

*What I'm looking forward to: Hearing Sparky's heartbeat at our doctor's appointment next week.

*Milestone: People now notice I'm pregnant:) Well, as long as I'm not wearing a super baggy shirt! I did go to a baby store at the mall last week and I said to the girl who was working there 'There aren't many gender neutral things are there?' She replied - 'yes don't you hate it when people don't tell you the sex? Makes it SO hard to buy!!' Ha ha. I responded 'Wellllll I'm buying for my own, but yea it's kind of frustrating when almost all of the cute stuff is pink or blue! I still like the idea of a surprise though:)' She was a bit embarrassed, but really I understand the frustration! Just because we decided a surprise would be the best for us doesn't mean I'm not dying to buy cute little pink & blue clothing!!!

6 comments:

  1. So much can change in a week! Look at that bump!
    It really sounds like your babymoon timing could not have come at a better time for you and Murray! I hope that your week this week calms down a bit, at least I hope that the heat breaks a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bump is looking great!! You are otherwise tiny still - so unless someone was looking at your tummy, I could see why they would not think you're pregnant.
    Sorry to hear you got rear-ended, it is upsetting. Glad you're okay - can't wait to see pics of Noosa - years since I have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the accidents were only minor ones.
    I so remember the black baby tar poop! It is really black and nasty.
    And have they told you to sleep on your left side? I remember being
    told that because (if I recall correctly) the cord comes around the right side of your belly.
    Anyway, that's my two cents.
    You look wonderful!!
    Love,
    Aunt Jani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Allison & VegWife:)

    Jani - yes I have heard about that, that blood flow is best on your left side. I have always slept on my right side, so at least better than the back, but I'm trying to start sleeping on my left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a good description I found Jani of why they say left side is best:)

    Sleeping on your left side makes your heart's job easier because it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs (pressure on the vena cava is common when you lay on your back).

    Some doctors specifically recommend that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mo, you're probably way ahead of me on this new tech but if not this is really interesting science for you two to consider:

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1083029.ece

    ReplyDelete