Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I will miss you Minnie Moose

Our family dog Minnie passed away last night... she lived a happy 12 1/2 years with my family and will be missed very very much.
Right after we got Minnie I took her along to my senior photos session - the summer before my senior year 1996 - gosh isn't she adorable

When I was away at my first year of college, I just happened to be home sick when Minnie started giving birth to her puppies

She ended up having 11 gorgeous little pups - all of whom were adopted by friends & family

Our family photo with the 11 puppies - cute huh?

Minnie the lioness - protecting the house

Murray came to love Minnie as well and she loved him right back

Me & Dad with from left - Minnie, and two of her puppies Ethel & Kiddy (whom my Grandma / aunt & uncle Joni & Kevin adopted)

Christmas Minnie & Me

On one trip home I crawled into a bunk and she came up to snuggle - even though she was bigger than me! When she was a puppy I always let her sleep with me, as soon as my parents would leave the room I would pull her up under the covers

All dressed up

Over at my aunt & uncle's place using their computer - Minnie was like my little shadow - she'd follow me where ever I went when I was home

Minnie up on the steps with her puppy Kiddy (resting his head) and Joni & Kevin's other dog Jagermeister

Kiddy, Jagger and Minnie at Grandma's door waiting for a treat!

Minnie on the boat - she LOVED coming on the boat and enjoying the view

Minnie with my sister Mariah

Murray treating Minnie to a belly rub

Minnie posing with Murray & I & our truck Dolph

Me & my baby - sweetest dog ever
All dressed up!

Murray also did a photo shoot with Minnie - such a gorgeous photo

Happy Happy Girl!

My baby

My parents also adopted a new puppy last summer - Brock - Minnie totally took him in (after a little reluctance at first) they became such good friends, and I think in the end he would have been a great comfort to her

Best of friends

I love you so much Minnie, and I'm sad you won't be there when I come back to Minnesota in just a few weeks time, but our family loved you so much and I know you know that because they were so good to you these last months when you were struggling and allowed you to live out your last days in a happy loving environment. I hope you are happy and I love you and I will see you again one day.


Now I just want to post this story called 'The purpose of a dog' because it really touched me

The Purpose of a Dog - from a 4 yr. old's perspective
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.

Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four- year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

9 comments:

  1. Oh Monique, I'm SO very sorry. I'm sitting here at work with tears streaming down my face. Your photos and words have touched me deeply. It is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful dog. I can see just how much Minnie meant to you. If it is any consolation, I've just gone through the same thing with the loss of my beautiful Casey. I thinks she'd be in heaven welcoming Minnie with lots of barks and tail wags. Knowing my girl and judging by your beautiful tribute to Minnie, I'm sure they'd be great friends! Sending you a big hug across the net. I hope you find joy in your memories of her. :-)

    http://aussie-erin.blogspot.com/2008/11/thoughts-and-prayers-for-my-beautiful.html
    http://aussie-erin.blogspot.com/2008/11/gone-but-never-forgotten.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Monique:
    Thanks for the tribute to Minnie; the beautiful photos and your melodic words brought back many fond memories. Appreciated your story about a dog's passing away from a 4-year old perspective; it really says it all. We still believe: "We all wish we were the kind of person that our dog thinks we are." Dogs love us unconditionally and that type of love is always a gift.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Monique, I am so sorry to hear about Minnie you must be so upset, what a wonderful fun filled and very loved life she lead. Your photos and happy times made me smile...she was a gorgeous dog....Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure her birthday was early March, so the old gal actually made it to 13. You should have seen how calm and sweet she was at the end...what a great dog. I'm sure Boo, Mickey, Natia, Tasha and the gang are all welcoming her with open paws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mo-
    That Blog was so great! I am so sad Minnie wont be around anymore, and I know how hard it is. Your blog made me cry at work! :) You made a lovely tribute to Minnie and I know we all will miss her :)
    Cant wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mo,
    Such great pictures!! I think my favorite is the 3 of them waiting outside EvLyn's door!! Too funny, too cute. And she was such a sweetheart of a puppy. It won't be the same not having Minnie greet us when visiting 'the island'.
    Love,
    Aunt Jani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Monique I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone
    Marcus - I just know we picked her out in the summer - it was JUST before my senior picture sessions - which I think was in July/August? So yes maybe she did make it to 13.....
    She was a tough old gal that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Monique. I'm sorry I'm a little late on this. You've done a beautiful job capturing her personality and her impact on your lives. May her memories always be with you.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete